Thursday, August 1, 2013

Wednesday July 31

 Today has been a travel day as we go from Aruba to Curacao to Barquisimeto, Venezuela. It was also nice being able to talk to/see Hannah on FaceTime since we had functioning wifi in the Aruba Airport. So nothing too notable has happened today, except for our final goodbye to our host family/church. 

We were all circled around having just finished eating ice cream, and Winston (Our WMEI leader) led us in saying thanks. We sang two hymns: one Arubian song and "Blessed Assurance". Now to be honest, this was a little strange for me. I have never really connected to singing hymns, especially without any accompaniment, however it was a special moment. Though it was a bit awkward for me, I could also feel the power in that moment. Just think...  there were seven countries being represented in that small circle of believers: Haiti, Jamaica, Brazil, Dominica, Aruba, United States, and Barbados. I am always amazed by the power of God's worldwide church. From all over the Caribbean and South America were people gathered under one roof and under one Name. As I sat there, I reveled in this communion of diversity. I reveled in the communion shared in singing together. I reveled in the communion of shared prayer. It was a beautiful moment.

One last thing about my time in Aruba... one night as we were sitting around talking, our host said this simple phrase that really stuck out to me. It was not said for dramatic effect. It was not said to sound good or to sound holy. It was said from her heart and with sincerity. It sounded as natural as telling someone your own name. 

She said, "I cannot stop praising him today and everyday." 

I wish I had a recording of her saying it, with her own emphasis and tone. Those words fell on me so beautifully. I believed her words. I believed she could not stop. I believed that everyday she was fueled by something much greater than her own ego, something Holy and Divine. Something that was not made to be left to herself but shared with anyone and everyone. 

Of all the words spoken over the weekend about Jesus, these were some of the most impactful. To me, that was genuine evangelism. She did not prod, beg, guilt, or coerce me, but with that one statement I wanted to know more. I wanted to know why she couldn't stop praising. I wanted to have that same conviction springing forth from me as well. It was inviting me in for her to tell me the Good News she had. It reminded me the prophet Jeremiah's words in 20:9. "His word is in my heart like a fire, I am weary of holding it in, indeed I cannot." She has a light in her that was bursting forth, springs of living water unhindered. I hope I always remember that comment. I wish I could permanently implant her saying that in my mind so I could replay it when I need inspiration. But of course for me to have that same conviction and genuineness, I need only to look to the giver of living water: Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment