This was an incredible experience. The dancing, the singing, the joy, the laughter was all so contagious. From young to old, people were freely worshipping. I've always had a bit of a hesitant, even cynical, view of charismatic churches. I believe in passionate worship, but the uncontrollable movement of the Spirit in people has always made me uncomfortable. Yet today, this experience was genuine and authentic. From the moment worship began, people were engaged into giving themselves away. They gave all of themselves, and with extreme joy.
When it came time for the offering, we put our offering into envelopes and then raised them up in the air as the pastor prayed over it. Up front the ushers stood with large baskets to receive the offering that we brought up. It was incredible to see this. This is what I wrote immediately afterwards on my paper.
"When it was time for the offering people came forward to give their offering. There was dancing in the aisles! The band was rocking out! At the altar of The Lord, people were dancing! They were smiling and laughing. They were raising up their offering in the air with such joy! One man danced in circles, throwing his hands in joy, waving his offering before God. There was such joy radiating from him as he gave his offering. Two ladies were connected by the arms swinging each other around with such joy. It was amazing to see their joy, their dancing, and their energy to offer themselves. Not only have they offered money but their whole selves in worship, so of course the offering was a joy. They had already offered their whole selves, so what was money but a way to give more? A way to offer back what is already God's. It has lost its grip upon them! It is a joy to offer it to God because his Church can use it to do more! Praise God for such an example in my life! May I never forget the example of that man dancing before God to give his offering."
This offering experience blew me away. I had never experience people so excited and happy during the offering. If you would've seen it, you would think they were receiving money instead of giving it away. I don't know how to put this experience into words. It moved me deeply.
I don't know how or if it's even possible to bring this into our churches - where the people JOYFULLY with dancing and singing, give their offering to God.
¡Gloria a Dios!
No comments:
Post a Comment