Thursday, May 30, 2013

Back home and what this trip could mean for me

This past weekend I went home to Northwest Arkansas. In our area, we have a large population of Mexican, Latin American, and South American people. This growing diversity has been a part of a large population increase over the past 15-20 years. I was reminded this past weekend that there is such a need for the local church to recognize and celebrate our diversity. I think many people find themselves timid to interact on a genuine level with the Hispanic population. I suppose for many its because of racial, socio-economic, and language barriers. There is opportunity to be had if we can look beyond such barriers.

Nearly all of my travel outside of the U.S. has been to Rio Bravo, Mexico. It was in this Mexican border city that my barriers began to be taken down. Going to Rio Bravo helped me better understand the people back in my own hometown. I am reminded of what it is like to know someone, and then one day to finally meet their family. All their quirks, tendencies, and personality seem to come into a clearer picture because you see what kind of family they came from and how that family acted. Usually it helps you better know that person and why they act like they do. I find it is the same way with my Mexican friends. Over the years of traveling to Rio Bravo, I feel it has given me a better feel for who they are.

All this to say... My hope is Venezuela might help me as well. Mexico is not Venezuela and their culture and people will not be the same. However, I hope it will give me another picture of the South American culture that I have not previously had before. For me, even if I don't learn a thing from how the churches work and evangelize in Venezuela (which for the record I do expect to learn things!), just the exposure to a South American culture will be valuable in of itself.

Prayer:

Lord prepare the way for our  group to Aruba and Venezuela. I am expectant and excited for the great things you have in store for us. I ask that you will prepare my heart to be open, receptive, and ready to learn. I ask you will give me a spirit not of timidity but of love, power, and discipline. Help me to love my your children in Venezuela as you love them. Show me your Spirit at work in their lives clearly. Help me to love with empathy and see as they see during my time there. Break my heart for what breaks theirs. Give me to the words to speak and soul to share your love through whatever means I may. I humbly ask all these things according to your will and your way. I love you and thank you for this opportunity. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment