Monday, June 3, 2013

Evangelism

Vocal evangelism hasn't ever been a strong suit of my faith. I have long connected with St Francis of Assisi's quote, "preach the Gospel at all time, use words if necessary." My faith upbringing has always emphasized loving my neighbor and that came to life in serving and meeting the needs of my neighbors. Mission has always been a "hands-on" type of work for me and less of a "mouth-on" type of work. I thought that by showing you the love of Christ, I was also telling you about the love of Christ. It was living out the Gospel, which was my evangelism.

I guess I'm afraid of coming off as pushy or insensitive if I vocalize my faith too quickly to someone. Admittedly some of it is fear and timidity to share the Gospel for whatever reason. It's easier for me to build you wheelchair ramp than to randomly start telling you about Jesus.

I read an article recently that captured my tension very well here.

Over the years, I've begun to mature in my "hands-on" dominant evangelism. I know my actions are very important, but I need to be ready and willing to share with my mouth as well. I need to get out of my comfort zone, and be not afraid to simply share what God has done in my life and what I believe he wants to do for everyone else as well. The "hand-on" only evangelism is one sided. Both the deeds and words bring to life the Gospel.

I'm hoping that as I go to Venezuela I can continue to develop my vocal sharing of the Gospel. I'm not talking about being able to preach the Gospel. I have no problem sharing the Gospel when the platform is turned over to me. I'm talking about when the platform isn't necessarily given boldly letting both my hands and mouth proclaim the Glory of the Lord. I don't know if I will be given the chance in Venezuela for this, but I pray if I do I will be ready.

My prayer:

Lord prepare me to share your Name. Put your words on the front of my tongue and open my mouth to speak of your Glory. I pray you continue to prepare my heart, mind, and soul for what you have prepared for our group in Venezuela and Aruba. Forgive me when I do not speak openly about you as I should, and empower me with your Holy Spirit to be bold in any circumstance to share your Name. I thank you for this opportunity. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment